Suffering from gastroenteritis? This article will discuss 12 smart ways on how to protect yourself from experiencing this dreaded stomach and intestine disease.
What is Gastroenteritis?
An inflammation of the lining of the stomach and intestines, gastroenteritis is commonly caused by dirty hands, filthy surroundings, and contaminated food and water. Also known as stomach flu or intestinal flu, its main symptoms include watery diarrhea, vomiting, headache, fever, and stomach ache.
Outbreaks of gastroenteritis have been recorded all over the globe. It is threatening because it may lead to dehydration, as well as the disruption of important body chemistry. Moreover, it can be contagious when caused by viruses and bacteria.
Prevention of Gastroenteritis
Gastroenteritis can be prevented by following easy-to-do health tips. Remember, it is always better to be safe than sorry. Here are 12 tips to help fight gastroenteritis.
- Always keep your home, office, and surroundings clean and free from dusts and germs. Disinfect dirty surfaces using chlorine bleach-based cleaning solutions.
- As much as possible, do not buy and eat food being sold by street vendors because you do not know how it was prepared and how clean it is. It is always better and safer to eat meals that are prepared at home.
- Take a bath regularly to lessen the risk of contracting the disease
- Wash hands well with soap and water before eating or handling food, and after using the bathroom.
- Avoid drinking water you’re not sure how it was prepared. Instead, drink water that has been boiled or properly treated with iodine or chlorine.
- Avoid eating undercooked or raw fish.
- Do not share eating or drinking utensils. This increases the risk of transferring germs from one person to another.
- Eat only food that has been thoroughly cooked and still hot. Eat only fruits that you yourself peeled.
- Avoid consuming meat and dairy products such as milk and eggs that have been left unrefrigerated. Chances are, these foods have already been contaminated and may cause a serious case of stomach flu.
- After preparing uncooked meat and poultry, thoroughly clean all kitchen utensils and work surfaces before preparing other food.
- Make it a habit to exercise your body regularly. A physically fit and healthy body is the best shield against all forms of diseases.
- There are some types of gastroenteritis that are caused by emotional problems. To prevent these, try to relax and reduce stress in life.
Keep your stomach safe and healthy. Prevent gastroenteritis by following the preventive ways discussed above.